Single Girl's Facebook

Tuesday, January 17, 2012

The battle, the experiment, the truth behind blondes vs. brunettes


The experiment that should have been done long ago, apparently I was the only one willing to do it. Blondes verses brunettes! The battle of what men really want in their woman’s hair color has been debated for years. I read an article once that men prefer to date blondes but end up marrying brunettes. For whatever reason, they felt this was necessary to look into and they had documented proof that this was the case, which obviously sparked my attention because I’ve been every hair color under the sun. 
So, I proposed a test. I would use my year previous pictures of me as a bright blonde to make a profile on a dating website and I would use my current brunette pictures to make another profile on the same site. I would have them say the same things, same work, and same preferences in life. I would still be me, just with different colored hair. Nothing else had changed, I weighed the same, I obviously looked the same feature wise.  And in this instance both hair was long, thick and curled, swoop bangs and all. Just different colors, I honestly thought that it wouldn’t make a difference.
I figured obviously someone would realize that in fact, I had created two profiles with similar names the exact same profile but different pictures.  And if that happened I would be unable to use either account ever again. I decided it was worth it! I needed to know… THE WORLD NEEDED TO KNOW!
No one noticed. Some men even messaged both profiles. I could not believe the difference in the way people looked at me. It wasn’t that they thought either girl (the blonde me or the brunette me) was stupid, but the majority of the men who messaged the blonde me wanted to take care of me. They wanted to spoil me and they wanted to rescue me, be my Knight in shining armor or tin foil depending on the man. 
The brunette me, was messaged just as often. Those messages talked about how independent I sounded (remember each profile was the same). They enjoyed my logic and theory on being hard working and having a goal driven mind and career. (Yes, blonde me had mentioned those things as well.) The men who messaged brunette me seemed to care about my opinions and my strengths, they wanted to know my ideas on books and literature, even on political events. Brunette me was perceived to be a woman on their level, worthy of more than pampering, worthy of intelligent conversation. .
So, since Blonde me kept getting emails of people wanting to “take care of her” I put in her profile an added line. “I am not looking for anyone to take care of me, I am independent and want someone to want to be with me not because they need me, not because I need them but because we WANT to be together.”  Those who read Blonde me’s comment found it rude, they called her a bitch and said she was self centered and egotistical, that she thought she was better than everyone. The other’s didn’t even read Blonde me’s profile. They continued to have this image of a girl who needed a big strong man to sweep her off her feet.  Someone to rescue her from all the bad men in the world because they were the only one’s capable of such grandeur. The men who messaged Blonde me, almost looked at me as weak. When I pronounced my independence and said I didn’t need and did not want to be taken care of I was immediately a bitch.
Brunette me was continuing to get responses that were decent, I found that more men actually read Brunette me’s profile and wanted to know more about her. So, to test the waters I added the same clip to Brunette me’s profile, “I am not looking for anyone to take care of me, I am independent and want someone to want to be with me not because they need me, not because I need them but because we WANT to be together.” I got raving replies of how awesome it was that I was so independent and secure with myself that I could be in a relationship where each party gave 50%. I was applauded by men who said “More women should feel this way. More women should listen to what you have to say!”
I deleted blonde me, after all those pictures were of me a year ago. I’m not claiming that all men have the same opinions. I’m certainly not suggesting that blondes are more fun or that brunettes are smarter. Because I was both! I was me, either way!  I just found it interesting the different responses to my hair color. Maybe it was just the men that messaged me. I like to think that people have more substance than their hair color.  But maybe some people look at you and that’s all that they see.
What defines me goes much further than any box of dye I could buy. Although I’ve never been a ginger.
Oh and as for my preference I love men with dark hair! But Iwouldn't rule out a blonde simply because of his hair.

1 comment:

  1. Amazing! If I didn't look like crap with brown hair I would be on my way to the drugstore right now!

    ReplyDelete