Single Girl's Facebook

Thursday, September 22, 2011

While Match making "Needs" trumps your "Wants"

Typically I try my best not to fix up friend or family members. If something goes wrong or it doesn’t work out then it ends up being my entire fault. However when you see someone in your life continue to make poor judgment choices about significant others, I think it’s my responsibility to take on the problem and fix it. After all, we do not always see our own flaws and issues as others clearly see them. Nor do we always know what is best for us. Some consider this meddling in the lives of others but in this recent case I think it’s about saving someone.  

I know how hard it is for two people, who could possibly be perfect for each other, to find one another in such a large world. So why not, just this once, boost them in the right direction? I say just this once as if I’ve never tried fixing my friends up before and usually completely failing in the process. But I try to be a closet romantic and hope that this time it works out. That this time I will be sitting one day possibly at their wedding watching them say their vows and thinking, yes I made this all possible. And ego fix? Probably but it still counts as helping others. And I like playing cupid!

I once fixed up two people in high school. It was a terrible date and they vowed to never go out together again. I doubled with them (my boyfriend and I at the time) to make it less awkward. And I will admit nothing went right. But I am happy to say they are now happily married and have a beautiful daughter together.  It may have taken them a little longer to get on track but I like to think I played a hand in the cards they were dealt.

Personally I think I’m very good at finding people for others. It’s just that the people I find are what those other people need not want. Needing something is far different than what we want usually. We want cheeseburgers but need a salad. We want that those thousand dollar shoes but need to be buying payless heels instead.  People need balance. They need someone who usually is somewhat opposite from themselves and yet easy to get along with.  

In my Single Girl opinion I believe everyone has a right to be treated well. Regardless of their past, everyone deserves to be happy in a relationship. Happiness does not always come in a six pack, even tan and bright blue eyes. Sometimes it comes in a hilarious average smart normal blue eyed package. Most of the time sense of humor can trump anyone with a good hair cut. Cologne can trump any gym rat sweat smell. And a simple hug can trump a one night stand.

Everyone deserves someone who will treat them with the love, respect and consideration they deserve so when I try to play match maker that’s what I’m looking for, for you. I’m not going off of looks alone, that doesn’t last. Sometimes our “type” is just a horrible replay of our past relationships.  Our “type” tends to get us into a vicious pattern of repeating the same relationship only with a new player.  Sometimes you just have to give people a chance, step outside your box and your boundaries of what you “want” and look for someone who has the qualities that you need.

It’s just my opinion… but if you ever “need” some help just let me know  ; )

No comments:

Post a Comment