Single Girl's Facebook

Saturday, May 14, 2011

Alone at a bar? What's a girl to do?

I always wondered why they tell women not to travel in packs, when going out. They always give advice to single girls that you should go out alone or it’s less likely you’ll be hit on. Apparently guys fear rejection (who doesn’t?) The more girls the more likely he is to get made fun of when he’s shot down.

Honestly, I think this makes no sense. I’m more likely to walk up to a group of men to talk to them than to single one out like a lioness on the prowl. It seems logical that the more ladies in one group the chances of one of them saying yes it much, much higher.  Apparently I do not know what I’m talking about.

It is true when I go out with my girl friends to bars that I may get looks but when I confront someone they say “With your friends you’re unapproachable” so I decided to test the going out alone idea and see what would come of it. After all, sitting at a bar alone isn’t the worst thing in the world right?

I go out alone to a bar. I still down on a stool and order my drink. The bar tender immediately pays more attention to me once he realizes I’m not meeting anyone here. I’m not saving a seat, I’m not watching the door and I’ve only checked the time twice. By the time the next drink has been ordered I do in fact start getting guys talking to me. However, the problem is that they’re also the person alone at the bar and there’s a reason for that.

I politely excuse myself from the man pouring his heart and soul out to me about his long lost love and his ex wife and their many children saying I see a friend across the room. I go to another seat at the bar and sit back down. Bar tender realizes I’ve moved makes witty comment and I go back to drinking my drink watching baseball.  Why am I watching baseball you ask? Well that’s just what happens to be playing on the many televisions they have along the walls.

Once again another lonely, at the bar alone sad soul comes to sit next to me. I will admit he’s much more interesting than the first guy, he’s at least funny.  By funny I mean completely drunk and making no sense. His speech is slurred and his swagger is a stagger of movements.  Though he did think he was the world’s most attractive man, he was invincible his liquid courage had surpassed my interest and I excused myself to the yet another part of the bar.

So after finishing another drink I ask the bar tender to cash me out. He laughs and says “Didn’t find what you were looking for?” And I reply that “I had indeed found something sadly it was research and nothing more.” He looks at me puzzled while handing me my bill when two new to the bar guys come and sit on each side of me. I’m signing my bill and one of the guys say “Oh leaving so soon… get the girl another drink…” 

As, we all know it is rude to turn down a free drink so I stayed. I kept my bill closed and put my own wallet away because I was finished.  I slowly sipped on my drink while Tweedle Dee and Tweedle Dum sat on each side of me talking around me, to me and about me at some points like I wasn’t even there. How lucky for me to be in the middle of two guys. The down fall they were complete idiots.  As I try to excuse myself thanking them for the drink the other one offers to buy me one.  I graciously decline only to get an attitude of complete surprise because how could I walk away from such great options.  Boy’s sanity… that’s how.

I start walking out the door and the bar tender motions me back telling me that one of the guys I did not talk to offered me a drink and his phone number. I laughed a little because you would think at this day and age we would be able to do our own work and not make the bar tender do it. I explain this to him he agrees I take the number as if I’d use it smile at the guy nod with the number like I had toasted him across the room.  The bar tender asked me “What research are you talking about?” I laugh and tell him how magazines say to go to a bar alone and you’re more likely to get hit on. And he looks at me and says “The only people who come to bars alone are sad… you don’t want that.”

In my experience he was right, I didn’t get hit on by a single person I was remotely interested but here’s the thing. Everyone enjoys a compliment. And always take a compliment whether you like where it came from or not.  I recommend every single girl going out to experience the alone at the bar theory. It may work out for you. Then again it may just make a great story to share with your friends.

“If you don’t try there’s a 100% chance you’ll fail. If you put yourself out there, then there’s a 50% chance they’re going to say yes.”

No comments:

Post a Comment