Single Girl's Facebook

Wednesday, April 13, 2011

There will be NO wedding bells, but I would like a cake with people on top!

I understand the idea of marriage. I honestly do. The majority of my family is married, most of them I assume happily since they've made it so many years together. My grandparents have been married over 50 years and are still going strong.
Aside from tax breaks, hoping to cash out on their pension and social security or half their pay if they cheat on you I don't see how a marriage can positively affect my life. What can a paper say that what I "feel" that you "feel" cannot? I don't want to get married I was never that girl who walked around dreaming up and planning my wedding. I never had that moment of clarity where I thought this is the song that I will walk down the isle too or went shopping for a white dress just in case that day comes. So if it doesn't I am of course ok with that.
The problem that I have is that we tell people who can and cannot get married. Now take me for example I really don't want to get married but you tell me I can't and all hell is going to break loose. How dare you tell me I don't have the right to get married? Who are you decided who I can love and what paper I can sign to make it "legit"??? Christians call marriage sacred between a man and a women. Well when men and women who are married stop getting divorced, stop cheating on each other, stop beating each other up in front of their children and having screaming fits while I'm trying to sleep, then maybe JUST MAYBE... I can agree it's sacred.  But until that happens which isn't likely anytime soon.... Why can't you just marry someone if you love them?
I've known marriages to last years and I've know marriages that have lasted not even a year... so what does the gender have to do with anything? I honestly believe that there are better same sex couples out there, than there are man and woman couples. I've seen them, I've known them and I applaud them. Marriage is a union before your friends and family stating that you want to be together for better or worse til death do you part forever...  So why does it matter who you marry? What right do we have to preach to anyone that they can't get married when our "man and woman" marriages are anything but sacred?
A few years ago I remember watching on the news that a man married a Barbie doll he claimed now had the soul of his wife who had recently passed and it was a legal union in front of a judge. How in the hell can you marry an obect that isn't real but people of the same gender are denied? Seriously people wake up!
You cannot help who you love and I can vouch for that. So, if two people are committed and willing to get married let them do it. Let them have that wedding bells, cake and all... Let them celebrate their love, for finding love and keeping love... it's more than a lot of us are doing.

You don't have to agree with me... you just have to know, I'm right.

No comments:

Post a Comment