Single Girl's Facebook

Thursday, April 21, 2011

Ugly can be inside and outside. I guess you decide...

The ugly friend, no one wants to be it and no one wants to admit it. However, we all have one. That friend; that no matter what we do, how we dress or how we look, they make each of us in the group look better.  I’ve had a few of those friends in my life and I won’t say it was intentional, all the time, but do I honestly want to be standing next to a model when I go out? I mean I’m not hanging out with the Victoria Secret models and there’s a reason for that…

And before you “boo” me and get all uptight about this I’d like to point out that it just so happens I know for a fact I’m not the only person who knows of the ‘ugly friend rule’.  So don’t think I’m completely shallow. I hadn’t even thought about the ‘ugly friend’ rule until a friend and I were talking about jumping the grenade a few nights ago.
So for all of you unfamiliar with jumping the grenade, it means someone has to hit on or take home the ‘ugly friend’ keep him or her occupied while the other people in the group take care of much more pleasant business. And guys just so you know, if you walk up to a group of girls and no one jumps the grenade, she’ll blow up and then you’ve all lost chances with any of those girls. So someone needs to suck it up and take one for the team! Rock paper scissors shoot as to who it has to be, shortest penis, the broke one, or your ‘ugly friend’ however you have to figure it out make sure it happens. Because the girls will always side with their said: “ugly friend”. And if the ugly girl isn’t getting any, neither is anyone else. And then no one’s happy!
Talking about the ‘ugly friend’ makes me feel a little shallow and also wonder, what if maybe I’m someone’s “ugly friend”? What if sometimes when invited to go out with a group of people it’s because I’m the ugly one? How do you know if you’re the ‘ugly friend’? I never pointed it out to anyone when I had one, I never made it well known that “that girl over there yeah she’s the ‘ugly friend’”. It was assumed many times since I have had some strange friends in my life but I never made a point to tell the world about my ‘ugly friend’ aka the grenade. 
Since no one talks about it… then how do we know if we’re that friend or not? Who judges that, who makes that decision? I honestly do not choose my friends based on their appearance but I will hate on a girl more attractive than me. I need to be on an equal playing field with her to be able to get along with her. Otherwise I turn into bitch mode and start sizing her up to tear her down. (All girls do this don’t think I’m vicious because I admit it).
The judgment comes from somewhere though so it has to come from the people who approach the group. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder so I’m told. So, in theory the ‘ugly friend’ can change depending on the people you encounter. So at one point or another in your life you have been the ‘ugly friend’.  Just as I have been ‘ugly friend’ in my group at times. All I want you to consider is this… the next time you go out, look around at your friends. If you can’t decide who’s the grenade aka ‘ugly friend’ chances are it’s you. 
“Sadly we can’t all be beautiful all the time, most of us can’t be beautiful most of the time and some of us are never beautiful some of the time…. And I haven’t even gotten to our appearances yet…”

2 comments:

  1. Reminds me of one night that a "friend" and I wanted to go out and have some drinks, but we had "that friend" with us. Both of us had a grenade.... It was hilarious, they both thought they were "taking one for the team". All the while me and my lady friend just dying on the inside knowing that it was so well played. Come to think of it, the two uggies actually dated for 2 years after a few nights of top gunning it up.... Never really put the 2 together, and me and the lady friend hated each other not to long after. LOL Just wanted to put my 2 cents in.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This both confused me and made me realize that apparently 1. The 'ugly friend' needs love also. And 2. Sometimes it pays to be the grenade getting jumped.... two years of jumping for that matter.

    ReplyDelete